At Valencia College, we hold peace and justice champions in high regard — including Pakistani activist Malala Yousafzai, American civil rights leader John Lewis, Parkland survivor X González, gay rights champion Harvey Milk, and climate activist Greta Thunberg, to name only a few. Educating the next generation of peace leaders is critical to the future success of our communities both local, national, and global. Join us during Valencia College’s Global Peace Week Sept. 27-30, as we learn from experts the skills of peaceful communication, resilience, and interdependence – everything needed to build a thriving world.
Each September, the Peace and Justice Institute celebrates International Day of Peace with Global Peace Week, a weeklong conference that includes workshops, peace education, mindfulness practices, guestspeakers, and free film screenings in partnership with the Global Peace Film Festival.
This year, the Peace and Justice Institute will kick off the festivities on the United Nations International Day of Peace, Sept. 21, at the downtown campus. Starting at 10 a.m., the events will include a huge human peace sign formed by students, faculty, staff, and members of the public. Attendees will receive free “peace treats” created by Valencia College culinary students and PJI T-shirts.
Starting on Monday, Sept. 27, PJI is offering a lineup of free virtualworkshops. Each day’s events begin with a 15-minute meditation session at 8:30 a.m. and wraps up with a virtual film at 6 p.m. in partnership with the Global Peace Film Festival.
Highlights of the week’s events include:
- “What Better Time Than Now?” A session that explores “social entrepreneurship,” a business model in which business and nonprofit leaders create sustainable, mission-driven enterprises. Monday, Sept. 27, from 2:30 to 3:45 p.m.
- “Exercise Your Empathy.” In this interactive workshop, participants will practice how to offer empathy in challenging situations. Monday, Sept. 27, from 1 to 2:15 p.m.
- “Metta Meditation.”This 75-minute workshop will focus on the benefits loving-kindness meditation. Tuesday, Sept. 28, from 9 to 10:15 a.m.
- “Allyship and the LGBTQ Community.” This workshop will discuss strategies to use allyship to counter hate. Tuesday, Sept. 28, from 1 to 2:15 p.m.
- “Environmental Sustainability.”Learn about the United Nations’ sustainable development goals and sustainability efforts at Valencia College. Wednesday, Sept. 29, from 1 to 2:15 p.m.
- “Boundaries and Communication.”Join Emilie Mitchell from the Victim Service Center for a dialogue about healthy and unhealthy relationships. Learn effective communication techniques and how to set boundaries in a relationship, plus resources available in our community. Wednesday, Sept. 29, from4 to 5:15 p.m.
- “The Rights of Nature.” Learn about the global movement that is changing environmental law – including the basics of the rights of nature and how Florida communities can create and enforce them. Thursday, Sept. 30, from 2:30 to 3:45 p.m.
- “Religion and Worldview Fair.” Join Central Florida faith leaders as they discuss their faith’s practices of peace. Thursday, Sept. 30, from 4 to 5:15 p.m.
To view a complete schedule of events or sign up for the virtual events, please go to https://valenciacollege.edu/students/peace-justice-institute/what-we-do/virtual-global-peace-week/index.php