ORLANDO – On July 13 and 14, Valencia College’s Dance Theater department will showcase the collaboration between the college’s dance majors and area high school students. The concert serves as the culmination of the college’s four-week summer program, which provides low-cost instruction to students currently enrolled in high schools across Central Florida. Through the summer dance institute, participating students gain the opportunity to work with both college and guest instructors, as well as Valencia College dance majors.
Choreographers for the summer dance institute include: Valencia Dance department’s artistic director, Lesley Brasseux Rodgers; dance program alumni Jeovanni Bonilla and Nicholas Granavel; and current dance performance majors Marcus Clement and Kiley Sandh.
Additional choreography for the dance major portion of the concert comes from the following:
- Jeanne Travers and John Parks, dance professors at the University of South Florida
- Kevin Veiga, Valencia College dance faculty
- Trent Williams Jr., dance professor at the University of Florida; Eric Yow, artistic director of Yow Dance (an Orlando-based modern dance company) and Central Florida Community Arts Director of Dance
- Jessica Smith, A.A. in Dance Performance Alumni and current Valencia dance faculty
- Emily Cordell, A.A. in Dance Performance alumni and former Valencia dance faculty alumni
The concert is open to the public and will be held at the East Campus Performing Arts Center from 8:00 to 9:30 p.m on Friday, July 13 and Saturday July 14. Tickets cost $12 for general admission; $10 for seniors and Valencia College students, staff and alumni; $6 for children 12 years old and younger. Doors open at 7:30 p.m.
For prospective Valencia College students who wish to earn an A.A. in dance performance, auditions will be held at the college’s East Campus on July 7, 2018 from 9:00 – 10:30 a.m. For more info contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
To learn more about Valencia College, please visit www.valenciacollege.edu/news