At Valencia College’s Board of Trustees meeting scheduled for May 26, the board will discuss proposed changes in student lab fees for the 2022-2023 academic year. In keeping with state law, all Florida College institutions must notify the public of any increases or additions to fees or tuition.
Lab fees do not cover all of the costs associated with lab courses; Valencia College subsidizes a significant amount of the overall cost of offering lab courses.
Summary of Proposed Changes to Lab Fees for the 2022-23 Academic Year
Valencia offers more than 720 courses with lab fees and 711 of those have no recommended changes from the amount listed in the current college catalog. The proposed changes are:
- Audio Technology and Sound Production is implementing a $130 lab fee for its Avid Pro Tools 101/110, 201/210M,130 and 210/210P courses, which were new in the 2021-22 academic year.
- Digital Media will introduce a new course – Digital Drawing and design (DIG2132C) – which will adopt a lab fee of $68.
- Graphics will introduce a new course – Advanced Interactive Design II (GRA2134C) – which will adopt a lab fee of $117.
- Hospitality & Tourism has changed the course numbering for its Beverage Management and Service course from HFT2861C to HFT2872C. With this change Hospitality & Tourism is transferring the current $118 lab fee from HFT2861C to HFT2872C.
- Respiratory Therapy will introduce a new course – Clinical Practice IV (RET2877L) – which will adopt a $110 lab fee. All other lab courses within the Respiratory Therapy curriculum will experience an average fee decrease of $66. These changes are being made as part of a change to the Respiratory Therapy curriculum.
- Sonography has changed the course numbering for their Sonography Instructional Lab I-III lab courses from SON1000C, SON1001C and SON1112C to SON1000L, SON1001L and SON1112L. With this change Sonography is transferring SON1000C, SON1001C and SON1112C current lab fees of $44, $4 and $31 to SON1000L, SON1001L and SON1112L.
If approved by the trustees, the recommended lab fee schedule will be effective beginning in the fall 2022 term. For a complete listing of the proposed fee changes, please visit www.valenciacollege.edu/about/budget/
The May 26 District Board of Trustees meeting will be held at 9:30 a.m. For more information about the meeting, please go to https://valenciacollege.edu/about/board-of-trustees/schedule.php.
Questions related to the proposed lab fee changes should be emailed to email@example.com.