Valencia College is honoring veterans not just on Veterans Day, but all this week.
Starting on Tuesday and running through Thursday, Nov. 10, the college will hold a series of ceremonies and programs designed to honor students who are veterans as well as faculty and staff members who have served in the military. The following events are scheduled:
- Tuesday, Nov. 8, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. West Campus will hold a ceremony in room 6-202, featuring coffee and refreshments for veterans, plus a slideshow of faculty and staff members who have served in the military. Veterans will be presented with ribbons honoring their service. This is a chance for veterans to meet other veterans at the college and learn about resources for veterans.
- Wed., Nov. 9, from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Winter Park Campus will salute veterans in the campus portico, with a memorial wall tribute, as well as a slide show of faculty and staff members who have served in the military and a presentation of ribbons to veterans. In addition, veterans can learn more about resources available to them.
- Wed., Nov. 9, from 2 to 4 p.m. Lake Nona Campus will distribute ribbons to veterans, hand out cupcakes honoring veterans and offer all students, faculty and staffers a chance to make cards for troops. The cards will then be inserted into care packages being mailed to troops.
- Thurs., Nov. 10, 8:30 to 10:30 a.m. Osceola Campus will hold a Veterans Day breakfast in the Building 2 atrium. Veterans will receive ribbons honoring their service and a resource table will provide information on services for veterans.
- Thurs., Nov. 10, 12:30 to 2 p.m. East Campus will hold a presentation of colors and a veterans lunch in the campus mall area. In addition, veterans will be awarded ribbons honoring their service, and can learn about resources available to vets.
In addition to the ceremonies, the college is holding two Skillshops on resources available to veterans. The first Skillshop will be held on Nov. 9 at 10 a.m. on East Campus, room 5-112. Vets on West Campus can attend the Skillshop on Nov. 9 at 2 p.m., in room 1-230. Skillshops are free and are open to any student with a Valencia ID card.